Growing onions at home on a windowsill: how to plant and care
Growing onions at home is not only fun. Also, a big bonus is the certainty that the vegetable does not contain chemicals. In addition, you can grow it as much as necessary.
- Useful properties of home-grown onions
- Preparing the bulbs for growing
- Options for growing onions on a windowsill
- Growing onions in the ground
As a child, almost everyone tried grow green onions on the windowsill. In most cases, even in winter, onions sprouted effortlessly and brought joy to their owners. But if you take seriously the cultivation of onions at home, then a large number of questions will arise.
Onions not only have special flavoring qualities that add flavor to any dish. It is also an excellent medicinal plant that relieves many ailments and boosts immunity. If you eat such vegetables in winter, then spring can be found without vitamin deficiency.
So, onions have the following properties:
- Fights viruses and infections, increases appetite.
- Improves digestion, increases appetite.
- Fights hypertension.
- Helps in the treatment of atherosclerosis.
- Increases sexual activity.
There are more than 300 types of onions in total. It is best to grow chives, shallots, onions at home. Batun and leek sprout from the seeds. There are many popular onion recipes that have been proven to be effective. It is used to treat eye, respiratory, fungal, and other skin conditions.
Onion juice is useful for neurasthenia, rheumatism and insomnia. It relieves itching and burning well when bitten by mosquitoes. He also copes with inflammatory processes with boils, is suitable for removing warts and calluses.
Leeks are especially beneficial, which can also be grown on a windowsill.
It fights obesity, kidney stones, salt deposits. Onions have a large amount of vitamins C and B. Contains zinc, phosphorus and potassium, minerals. Of particular note is phytoncides, which have antibacterial properties.
It is a big mistake to think that onions can simply be put in water and they will grow. Bulbs require special preparationso that the greens grow rich and lush.
Bulb selection should also be taken seriously.
All should be about the same size, small. It should not have any defects, scratches, it should be elastic and healthy in color. Before planting onions, they are immersed in water at a temperature of about 50 degrees for 20 minutes. Water can be replaced with potassium permanganate solution or ash solution. After that, the onion is placed in cold water. Next, the husk is removed.
How to plant onions at home to get a good harvest:
- The more sunshine the plant will receive, the brighter it will be, and therefore juicier.
- You need to water the onion only with settled water. It should be either at room temperature or slightly warm. If the onion is grown not in water, but in the soil, but the soil should not be waterlogged, since the bulbs can rot.
- Onions do not like hot air.Therefore, when growing it on the windowsill, you need to take care that there is no battery under the growing container.
- When the first greens appear, there will be a great temptation to cut them off and add them to some dish. But don't be in a hurry. If you cut off young greens right away, they can stop growth. That is, the cut leaves will grow again, but the rest of the shoots will never wake up.
- Gradually, the bulb will be depleted. It will be noticeable in her appearance. The maximum period of the bulb is 2 months, after which the greens will grow weak, tasteless.
There are several ways to grow onions on the windowsill:
- In water.
- In a plastic bottle.
- In the ground.
It is easiest to grow a bulb in water. You can take any container, the main thing is that the diameter of the upper part is narrower than the diameter of the onion. If the bulbs are too small, special tools can be made from cardboard, foam, wire, etc.
When setting the bulb for growing, you need to be careful so that only the roots touch the water.
If you want to grow a lot of onions, but you can't find so many jars, there is another way. You can use a large, flat container, such as a box lid or pallet, etc. A little water is poured into the bottom, and the onions are placed directly into it.
The bulbs must be laid in this way.so that they touch the water, but do not float. Periodically, water needs to be added, as it will evaporate. After about two weeks the first "crop" can be cut.
A popular method is growing onions in a plastic bottle:
- The bottle is taken of any volume, depending on the amount of the grown material. Round holes are cut throughout the bottle, which will be slightly smaller than the diameter of the onion so that it does not fall out. This allows up to 10 rows of bulbs to be planted in a 5 liter bottle.
- The first row is not too low. When the plants are watered, water can flow out from there and wash out the earth.
- The bottle is placed vertically. Then a layer of earth is poured to the level of the holes, the bulbs are installed and then the earth is poured, and so on to the very top. After that, the substrate can be watered.
- For growing bulbs, you can take a universal soil, you can also replace it with mineral wool. Using the latter, the operation must be carried out with gloves, otherwise you can damage the skin and get severe irritation.
- The earth can be replaced with any material that is capable of accumulating and retaining moisture. For example: sawdust, paper napkins, vermiculite. The advantage of this method is the absence of dirt and the risk of midges.
You can also get greens from onions in ordinary soil. A growing vessel is used not high, up to 6 cm. To ensure a continuous harvest, two containers are placed and the greens are cut alternately. Onions are planted in these containers with a difference of 10 days.
If the land was purchased not in a store, and collected in the garden, it is additionally calcined in the oven. Another way to neutralize the earth is to pour it with potassium permanganate solution, and then water.
Some experienced gardeners like to experiment and replace the soil with other substrates. A hydrogel is suitable for growing onions, as well as a hydrogel and vermiculite.
The peculiarity of the hydrogel is that it does not need to be watered. It is able to accumulate and retain water for a long time. The soil must be provided with a good drainage system. Loose by itself. As for the acidity, it should be neutral.
The bow is not placed on the windowsill immediately after planting.
The first 10 days it is placed in a cool place, in partial shade conditions. This will help the formation of a strong root system... That is, you can put it in any place that will be far from the battery and the window. Greens will grow more intensely if the room is warm. The best temperature is in the range of 25-27 degrees.Lower temperatures will not harm the plant, but it will grow more slowly.
If it is cloudy outside or the window is shaded by trees, the bow will not refuse artificial light. When growing onions, there are rarely any difficulties. A mini-vegetable garden on the windowsill can be kept all year round.
More information can be found in the video.