Chrysanthemum globular: growing and wintering
Chrysanthemum - the golden flower of autumn, despite the fact that some varieties bloom in the middle of summer. The variety of colors is amazing. There are about 160 species alone, and about 4 thousand varieties. Among them, a group of round-shaped varieties, called spherical, stands out.
- Structural features
- Planting a globular chrysanthemum
- Flower care
- Wintering globular chrysanthemum
- Application in landscape design
Spherical chrysanthemum - a bush no more than 70 cm high. It acquires the shape of a ball in the process of growth, without requiring any molding. Although some gardeners advise pinching the stems after the plant has 8 leaves. But if you do not do this, the bush will still take on the shape of a ball. This eliminates the problem of many varieties, the stems of which fall to the ground and need to be tied up.
A spherical chrysanthemum bush will not necessarily have a ball shape. You can also shape it into a flat-topped vase. To do this, pinch the stalk after 3-4 leaves.
Modern hybrids of chrysanthemum globular can have flowers of almost any color. There are even blues and greens.
Many species and varieties of globular chrysanthemums are known. So hybrid Korean chrysanthemums are divided into several groups:
- Border heights from 15 to 30 cm. They bloom early, almost do not form root shoots. They form neat bushes with a perfectly rounded shape.
- Medium-sized, up to 50 cm high. They can be grown in the house, used for cutting. The bushes of these varieties are very beautiful, have a wide range of colors and shades, while being compact.
- High, reaching 70 cm.
Multiflora, a chrysanthemum with a large number of flowers, is distinguished by early flowering periods, a variety of flower colors. It has a perfectly rounded shape. The height of the bushes is below 50 cm. The frost resistance of Multiflora is lower than that of the Koreans. For the winter in the southern regions it is sheltered from frost or dug up and stored in a cellar.
By the timing of flowering, all spherical chrysanthemums are divided into:
- The early ones, which begin to bloom in August.
- Medium flowering period, bloom in September.
- Late - begin to bloom at the end of September.
The difference in flowering time allows you to create such flower beds that will delight the eye for a long period - from August to the end of October.
The soil for growing chrysanthemums should be loose, nutritious. The growing area is sunny. Chrysanthemum is a plant of short daylight hours. They take out the chrysanthemum from the cellar as early as possible: at the end of March or the beginning of April. Water, set in a warm place. Active growth soon appears. Divide the bush into parts, choosing all the processes that have at least one bud. They are planted separately in open ground or greenhouses.
If the bushes are not separated, then the chrysanthemum will grow only one taproot. In this case, young roots and shoots will not form. The shoots are planted in greenhouses, one stem at a time, so that roots form on the shoots. First, the green cuttings are cut to the same length, the lower leaves are cut off. They are treated with Kornevin. They are planted in a light substrate. Roots are formed in a week. You can put the cuttings in a jar of water and wait for the roots to appear on them.Bushes of the same size will grow from such cuttings.
In theory, chrysanthemum can be grown from seed. But in practice, this method is very lengthy and requires constant attention. In addition, varietal traits may not be transmitted with this propagation method. By pinching the top of the stem, you can adjust the size of the bush. If you spend it in March, the bush will be the maximum for this variety, in April - medium, in June - small.
A spherical chrysanthemum should be planted in open ground early, after the threat of severe frosts has passed.
Then it will bloom faster. Chrysanthemum tolerates light frosts well, but young unrooted plants need to be covered with a sharp drop in temperature. Saplings are planted at a distance of approximately 50 cm from each other. It depends on the variety and the estimated size of the bush. During the flowering period, they should not merge with each other. It is necessary to provide for the paths for the care of the bushes. Fertilizers specially designed for chrysanthemums can be added to the wells, for example, Kemiru.
Bushes that have wintered in the ground more than once are also planted. If this is not done, many plants will grow from one place, which will interfere with each other. A beautiful rounded bush with such cultivation will not work.
How to properly care for a spherical chrysanthemum:
- Young bushes need to be watered until they take root. This will be evidenced by the active growth of shoots. In order for moisture to be stored in the soil as long as possible, it must be mulched. As mulch, you can use peat, cut grass in a layer of several centimeters. Watering in summer and autumn depends on weather conditions. If it rains frequently, then additional watering will not be needed. If there is a drought on the street, they are necessary.
- You need to apply nitrogen fertilizer for chrysanthemums once, soon after they begin to actively develop. For this, humus is used. Nitrogen fertilizers, which cause active growth, are no longer used. After all, it is the small specimens with a large number of buds that are more appreciated. It is imperative to feed the spherical chrysanthemums in the bud setting phase. Before and after fertilization, the plant is watered. Chrysanthemum needs potash and phosphorus fertilizers. Use superphosphate or infusion wood ash.
- In summer and autumn, spherical chrysanthemum bushes can be transplanted to another location. They tolerate this procedure well. Can be planted in pots, but only after a third of all available buds have opened. After transplanting, you need to water the bush abundantly, mulch the soil around it.
Chrysanthemum globular is practically not damaged by diseases. But if it rained for a long time, you can process the bushes. fungicide to prevent fungal diseases. If a white bloom appears on the leaves, this is a sign of powdery mildew damage.
To combat it, damaged leaves are removed, the top layer of the soil is replaced, in which the causative agents of fungal diseases are located. Then it is treated with a fungicide (for example, Fitoverm) or copper-soap solution.
Pests love to settle on chrysanthemum and feast on its juice. It can be:
You need to fight them with insecticides (Intavir, Aktara, Iskra). In order to notice them in time, you need to regularly inspect the bushes. After all, most of the listed pests are very small.
After the spherical chrysanthemum has faded, the bush is cut at a height of 10-15 cm from the ground. If the chrysanthemum grows in the southern regions, it is enough to cover it slightly from frost. If it is located a little further north, Korean varieties are left outside under light cover.
Fallen leaves can be used. Do not cover with walnut leaves, because they contain a lot of iodine, which can burn the buds.In the spring, immediately after the soil has thawed, the shelter is removed. Otherwise, the bush may get wet and disappear.
The multiflora bushes are dug up and placed in pots or boxes of soil.
You can dig them up during the flowering period and install them in the house. After they have faded, they are taken out into a cool room. The temperature in the cellar where chrysanthemums are stored should be no higher than 5 ° C. Moisten the soil periodically so that it does not dry out. But you cannot fill in with water, the root system will rot. The ground should be slightly damp. Plants do not need light in winter.
The spherical chrysanthemum has become widespread in recent years. Colorful bushes, completely covered with flowers, decorate flower beds, ridges, mixed borders. With their help, it is easy to form any pattern. After all, they are compact, bloom for a long time, have a wide range of colors.
Globular chrysanthemums look good against the background of conifers.
They designate the boundaries of the tracks. You can use flowers for mixborders. On a green manicured lawn, single bushes of light colors will look very elegant.
The globular chrysanthemum can be grown as a pot culture. It can be installed both on outdoor windowsills and indoors. You just need to take into account that the temperature in the room should not be high. She will feel better at 16 ° C. For the winter, a pot with a trimmed flower is taken out to the cellar. Can be potted again or transplanted outdoors in spring.
More information can be found in the video: