Is it possible to water indoor flowers with beer: tips and rules
In order for indoor flowers to grow quickly and bloom beautifully, they need to be constantly fed. Some growers prefer to use fertilizers that are sold in a flower shop. Others are constantly looking for organic feeding... Sometimes they are offered very non-standard solutions. For example, feed the flowers with beer. Are they, like people, not indifferent to this intoxicating drink?
- Ways to use brewer's yeast and beer
- Watering plants with diluted beer
- Dangerous effects of watering with beer
Recipes for feeding indoor flowers with sleeping tea or coffee, water obtained after washing meat have long been known. And not so long ago it became fashionable to fertilize plants with beer. Several applications are known:
- Using brewer's yeast. Brewer's yeast has been used in agriculture for the accelerated development of plants since the end of the last century. The well-known preparation "Baikal M1" was created on their basis. Now they are used in floriculture. Take 10 g of yeast, add them to 10 liters of water. Stir, pour 3 tablespoons of sugar in order for the fermentation process to begin. Place in a warm place for several hours. You do not need to use such dressings often, otherwise the soil in the pot will be covered with black moss.
- Watering with diluted beer. Light beer is diluted in a ratio of 1:10 or 1:40, then the plants are watered. The proportion is advised to be established by trial and error. It may not be the same for different plants. Many growers claim that after such a procedure, they grow faster, and the leaves become brighter.
- Rubbing the leaves with beer. Rubbing large smooth leaves with diluted beer makes them shiny and protects from dust for a long time. Beer is taken not fresh, but "exhausted". Dilute it with water in equal proportions. But immediately after the procedure, an unpleasant smell spreads around the room. After a while, it disappears, especially if the room is well ventilated. Do not rub the pubescent leaves with beer. During the procedure, thin villi are damaged, the leaf becomes ugly and may even die. This applies not only to wiping with beer, but also with ordinary water.
If you have definitely decided to feed, you need to choose the right beer. A positive result can only be expected when processed with "live" beer. It differs from the usual bottle in that it has a short shelf life.
It contains no preservatives, stabilizers or other additives. After all, they are harmful not only to people, but also to plants. The positive effects of beer may be due to the fact that it contains potassium. It is he who promotes the flowering of plants.
Watering with diluted brewer's yeast promotes the development root system.
Some growers claim that plants have increased immunity, they are less susceptible to various pests, including spider mites and scale insects. Different flowers react differently when fed with beer. A positive result was recorded in indoor roses, dracaena, ficus, milkweed, money tree, zamioculcas.
The composition of "live" beer contains carbohydrates and various vitamins. Their structure is quite complex.Therefore, it is difficult for plants to assimilate these substances. But they can provoke the growth of microorganisms, which will have a detrimental effect on the condition of plants. They can destroy the beneficial ones that are present in healthy soil.
Even in those plants that develop faster after watering with beer, the soil becomes black mold, then compacted. At the same time, an unpleasant smell comes from the pot. After a while, the plant will have to be replanted with silt to fight against harmful fungi and mold.
When assessing the need to use beer and brewer's yeast, the value of the flower is taken into account.
If he is dear to the owner, then it is hardly worth experimenting. Better to try on less valuable. And if the tool proves to be effective for a long time, continue experimenting on others.
More information can be found in the video: