The tree peony does not bloom: why and what to do?
The flowers of the garden serve not only to decorate the landscape, but to cheer up, give a charge of emotions. Walking around the garden every day, inhaling intoxicating aromas, a person will never fall into a depressive state. Among perennials for the garden are distinguished tree peonieswhose beauty is simply irresistible. But it happens that shrub species do not bloom, and immediately all the beauty of the landscape is lost. Every gardener can find out the cause of the problem, he is able to take measures to eliminate it.
There are two types of peonies: herbaceous and tree-like. It is known that the magnificent flower came to us from China, where it is not without reason called the imperial one. Luxurious buds could only decorate the gardens of the elite. The flower is considered a symbol of men, their longevity, devotion. The selection of peonies made it possible to bring out collections of buds of pristine beauty. And not only the Chinese, but also the British succeeded in this.
- Tree peony - structural features
- Improper care of flowering shrubs, its consequences
- A common reason why a peony does not bloom is disease
- How to deal with peony diseases
- Pests that prevent the peony from blooming and the fight against nyrmis
- Recommendations for organizing proper peony care
Shrub peony reaches a height of 1.5-2 meters. The perennial belongs to the deciduous plants of the garden. Unlike its fellow herbaceous peony, the tree-like peony has erect thick stems, which grow more and more every year. And after a few years, the shrub already has a significant crown in the shape of a ball. The abundant foliage of a perennial plant is beautiful - pale green, delicate.
Flowers of huge size are appreciated in peony, reaching a diameter of ten to twenty centimeters.
The plant is famous for the variety of colors of lush buds from rich yellow, white to bright pink, purple, red. There are even two-tone species. By the shape of the flower, simple, double and semi-double peonies are distinguished.
The flowering of an ornamental shrub begins in early May and lasts for two weeks. Only with proper care will the peony bloom on time, completely covered with bright buds of luxurious flowers.
To prevent the occurrence of the fact that the peony does not bloom, it is necessary to properly plant and care for it:
- Saplings of tree shrubs begin to be planted in the ground in the fall.
- The place is chosen for a perennial open, away from trees. The soil here should be neutral in acidity, without swampiness.
- As pion grows every year, it is necessary to observe the distance between plants in one meter.
- In depth, the landing pit reaches sixty centimeters, and its width is the same.
- The best soil for a flower will be a mixture from garden soil, compost, peat, humus. Be sure to add some river sand.
- From fertilizers, during planting, half a kilogram of bone meal is poured into the pit, a tablespoon ferrous sulfate, two hundred grams of superphosphate. Everything is thoroughly mixed with the soil.
It is known that the peony begins to bloom in the second year of life. If the planting rules are followed in full, then the bush will be covered with flowers on time. But you cannot constantly transplant a perennial, otherwise it will never bloom like that. It is not difficult to care for a tree peony. It is watered abundantly once a month, better in the evening. From foliar dressings, a mineral fertilizer dissolved in water is used for flowering plants in the garden. And so that it sticks better to the leaves, add a spoonful of crushed laundry soap to the solution.
During the period of active growth of the shrub, nitrogen, potassium, phosphorus should be included in the dressing.
It is enough to feed the flower three times per season. After rains, abundant watering, the soil around the peonies requires loosening, as it becomes clogged with grasses - weeding. After the flowering of the plant has stopped, the shoots are cut to the upper axil of the leaves.
Tree peonies are rarely exposed to low temperatures, so they are not covered for the winter. For young plants, huts are arranged from the clutches of fir trees, since they are more susceptible to frost. It is also worth feeding the shrubs in late autumn. To do this, two hundred grams of bone meal are embedded in the soil under each bush, three hundred - wood ash... If the agricultural technology of decorative culture is violated, then flowers from a peony can not be expected.
Peony buds are not tied often due to diseases. These include fungal and viral infections:
- The causative agents of gray rot are fungi that appear on young shoots with brown spots. After the stems have rotted, you can see a gray bloom on them with black dots of mycelium. The disease also affects the leaves, which dry out in the heat, and become covered with gray mold during the period of humidity. Flowers also do not have time to open, as they rot. The defeat of the bushes occurs quickly, and if you do not take action, the fungus will spread to all garden plants.
- Rust disease is identified by brownish spots on the top plate of the leaf. And below you can see convex formations filled with spores. For two to three days, under the influence of the wind, the fungus captures new and new decorative bushes. They will not be able to develop properly, bloom, as they will begin to dry out. If there are coniferous trees nearby, then the rust fungus will settle on them. When the weather in summer is too humid, it is very difficult to protect the tree peony from disease.
- A plant can become infected with cladosporium at the beginning of summer, then all the green foliage of the bush will begin to turn brown, darken, as if burnt. The fungus attacks not only the leaves, but also the stems and buds.
- Brown spot has a negative effect on the flowering of the plant. Horticultural culture weakens, begins to wither, it lacks the strength for good development.
All flower diseases are associated with unfavorable weather conditions, poor perennial care.
It is necessary to start the fight against fungal diseases of garden culture in early spring. It is necessary to shake off the foliage from the shoots, exposing the tops of the buds, and treat the soil, the stem with a solution fungicide type Fundazol, Speed. The procedure must be carried out three times with a break of ten days, starting in April.
As a preventive measure, spraying with the same drugs will help, but at the end of summer, when the peonies have faded. Disinfection with a weak solution of copper oxychloride not only bushes, but also soil in plantings will quickly cope with diseases.
It is better to transplant a diseased plant away from healthy bushes.
Taking from it a clean shoot without signs of damage, they carry out the reproduction procedure, destroying the mother plant.If you do not use fresh manure for top dressing, but only matured compost, then diseases will be bypassed. The tree peony rarely succumbs to diseases, but if, nevertheless, the bush gets sick, it is necessary to start its treatment on time.
Insects that parasitize garden plants are rarely found on peonies. Most of all, ants annoy the flower, which like to eat sweet nectar from the buds. Although they do not bring much harm, ants carry aphids, which are more difficult to get rid of. Beetles with a bronze shell love to feast on petals and stamens, fragrant peony petals.
A small number of insects can be found on peonies, but from them the buds become frail, quickly fall off.
Gall nematodes can be seen by swollen growths on the trunks of the bush. In this case, pests destroy the root system of a perennial, then moving to healthy plants.
There are several ways how to destroy pests from a peony:
- Beetles are easy to pick up by hand in the early morning.
- There are various means to fight ants. Effective are the preparations Absolute with the active substance chlor-pyrifos, the Great Warrior - with diazonin. A positive result can be achieved only five days after spraying the ornamental culture.
- From aphids and caterpillars insecticides like Aktara will help. They are sprayed with plants three times with a break of ten to twelve days.
- From folk remedies, treatment with tobacco broth is used, which is prepared by diluting one kilogram of tobacco waste into five liters of water. After a day of infusion, the mixture is boiled for an hour and, having filtered, half a liter is diluted with a bucket of water. To enhance the effectiveness of processing, you can add one hundred grams of laundry soap to the solution.
Timely pest control contributes to the preservation of the ornamental shrub, its long flowering.
If the reason for the absence of flowers on a peony is unknown, then you just need to check whether all the rules for caring for the plant are followed:
- Pay attention to the shrub planting site. It should be open, without the neighborhood of buildings, large trees.
- The distance between the bushes plays a big role in the proper development and flowering of the ornamental culture. In one place, a peony can live for a long time, hence it grows strongly. He needs space, he does not like tightness.
- In the first year of life, the perennial root system is still weak to tie buds. But next year the buds will give flowers. Therefore, in no case should you cut the peony in the fall.
- During planting, the plants pay attention to the deepening of the grafting point ten centimeters into the soil. After two to three years, the thin stem forms a compact shrub with many shoots. Peonies usually do not bloom if planted shallow or deep.
- During watering, they monitor the condition of the soil. It should not be too dry, but too wet will lead to dropping of the buds, rotting of the roots. The same applies to fertilizers. There should be exactly as many of them as the plant needs. Lack or excess of minerals will negatively affect the condition of the flower.
Tree peony undemanding to care, growing conditions, but it will bloom with care and attention.
More information can be found in the video: