Review of the Aubriet flower variety "Enchanting Morocco"
Aubrieta Enchanting Morocco belongs to the category of herbaceous perennial crops that can decorate any site.
A colorful carpet can effectively cover a rockery or an alpine slide. The cascade will look no less bright on vertical surfaces.
Lovers of herbaceous perennials often grow aubrieta indoors, planting flowers in spacious containers. An unpretentious decorative culture can become not only a flower bed decoration, but also a highlight of a home interior.
The information below will help you familiarize yourself with the peculiarities of growing the Enchanting Morocco variety.
Characteristics and description of the variety Charming Morocco
Where the decorative culture charming with its appearance came to us is unknown to this day. According to the assumptions of flower growers, the homeland of a flower can be both South America and Central Asia. The high level of frost resistance makes it possible to grow aubrieta even on the territory of Siberia. With a cold snap, the plant does not change the shade of the inflorescences and does not shed the green mass. The first spring warming awakens a herbaceous perennial. Soon, a bright green mass that appears begins to delight the eyes of the owner of the site. In the last weeks of spring, the aubriet begins to become covered with bright inflorescences. Flowering continues for 6-8 weeks.
The Enchanting Morocco variety belongs to the hybrid varieties of Aubrieta. The decorative culture is a mixture of large-flowered abriety. Its inflorescences can be colored in a variety of colors (from red to blue). The diameter of the flowers reaches 15 mm.
Note! For planting seedlings, it is recommended to select areas well-lit by the sun's rays. This will accelerate the growth of the ornamental culture and will allow for exuberant flowering.
Small leaf plates, painted in a bright green palette. The height of the bushes is in the range of 26-30 cm. In natural conditions, the Enchanting Morocco variety grows along the coastline.
Aubriet disembarkation is carried out on May 15-20 or October 1-5. When sowing seed in May, the first shoots will appear as early as 12-15 days. Planted seeds in October will allow you to admire the shoots only in April. Seeds can be sown directly into an open bed.
When sowing seed, the appropriate spacing must be observed. Thickening of crops does not allow seedlings to fully develop. Plants are deficient in nutrients. Experts recommend keeping the distance between crops within 16-20 cm.
When choosing a site, it is worth giving preference to areas that are well illuminated by the sun's rays. The soil in the selected planting site should be nutritious with an alkaline reaction. Acidic soil will negatively affect plant health. Aubrieta, as a rule, does not take root in such conditions. It is also worth avoiding areas with heavy clay soil.
Aubrieta belongs to the category of light-loving plants, which, when planted in the shade, provoke the stretching of leaf plates and negatively affect flowering.
The selected area is cleared of stones and weeds. The soil is dug to a depth of 12-15 cm. A small percentage of humus, chalk, lime and wood ash is introduced into the ground when sowing is carried out in the spring months.When planting seeds / seedlings in autumn, mineral fertilizer and ash, chalk and lime are applied to the soil.
The fertilized soil is loosened so that not a single lump remains. The structure of the earth must be uniform. The soil is moistened.
Step-by-step process of planting and pre-seed preparation
- When choosing seeds for sowing, you should give preference to large, flat specimens, painted in a brown tint.
- Seed material before sowing must undergo preliminary preparation and disinfection. First of all, the seeds are soaked in a growth stimulator like Epin or Heteroauxin, which must be dissolved in warm water. It is very important to observe the proportions that the manufacturer indicates in the instructions. For disinfection, you can use the dry method. In this case, you will need to dust the seeds with a fungicidal agent. If desired, you can soak the seed for 60 minutes in a solution of potassium permanganate.
- Seeds are sown in the wells prepared in advance, observing the recommended distance.
- The crops are sprinkled with a layer of sand and peat, mixed in equal proportions. The soil is moistened with a spray bottle.
Note! The seeds can be buried between large stones. Aubriet shoots, which will eventually fall from the stones, will look quite impressive.
Growing aubriets for seedlings
If you wish, you can plant seeds in cups and grow Arieta using the seedling method. Ornamental culture can not be dived and planted in the ground together with a glass.
- With the help of peat tablets and pots, you can grow a herbaceous perennial at home.
- Seeds are planted in prepared containers filled with fertile soil at the end of winter. After planting the seed, the soil must be moistened with a spray bottle. After a couple of weeks, seedlings will begin to appear in pots, which, on the 10th day of appearance, need to be introduced into the soil with mineral fertilizing.
- Transplanting seedlings into an open bed should be postponed to mid-April. Plants that have been grown in this manner begin to bloom in early summer.
Cultivation of Aubrieta Enchanting Morocco is quite a simple and fun process. However, in order to grow healthy shrubs, it is recommended to follow the recommendations regarding the care of an ornamental crop.
The flower does not need frequent watering. First of all, you should focus on the state of the topsoil. Its drying out indicates the need for watering. More frequent soil moistening procedures contribute to the growth of green mass and negatively affect flowering. Experts recommend giving preference to the sprinkling method.
After each moistening procedure, the soil must be loosened and weeds removed. Throughout the growing season, mulching the soil with a layer of expanded clay, the thickness of which reaches 4-6 cm, should be carried out several times.
In the spring, before the beginning of the flowering period, it is required to systematically apply mineral fertilizer, which is produced for perennial flowering plants. You can also add phosphorus-phosphorus-potassium fertilizing and humate. The first time the soil is fertilized in the spring months, the second time after pruning. If desired, you can use humate throughout the entire growing season. Phosphorus-potassium dressings stimulate abundant flowering, and humate compensates for the deficiency of trace elements.
Advice! It is not necessary to introduce nitrogen fertilization into the soil, which prevents flowering.
After the flowering process begins to complete, you can start pruning the crop, stimulating the formation of new shoots, ensuring re-flowering in September. Pruning is done at a height of 2.5 cm from the ground surface
Propagation of Aubrieta Charming Morocco can be done in three ways:
- dividing the bush;
- by cuttings.
Most often, experienced flower growers sow seed directly into an open bed, which was previously dug up and cleared of weeds. The soil for planting must be fertile and well moisturized. It is very important not to forget to add a small part of chalk and lime to it. When sowing seeds, do not embed them very deeply. A depth of 2-3 cm is enough.
No less popular is the method of flower propagation by cuttings. For this purpose, you should use the crop residues that remain after pruning. The cuttings are planted in a greenhouse. The soil for planting should be based on peat and a small part of sand. As a rule, the rooting process is completed after a couple of months. At this time, you can start transplanting seedlings to a permanent place. By winter, young bushes will be able to get strong enough. When growing aubriets in Siberia, it is better to postpone transplanting cuttings until late April or early May.
The method of dividing a bush is quite painful for an ornamental culture. It is best held in May. To this end, you will need:
- dig out a bush;
- divide it with a sharp shovel into several parts, so that roots and well-developed stems are present in each division;
- transplant the resulting bushes into pre-prepared holes in the ground.
Plants propagated by the method of dividing the bush root poorly, therefore experienced florists recommend using the seed method of propagation or cuttings.
Pests and diseases obriety
Herbaceous perennial is not susceptible to diseases and pests. However, against the background of improper care, an ornamental culture can suffer from powdery mildew - a fungal infection, the development of which is evidenced by the presence of white bloom on leaf plates and flowers. Affected plants lose their decorative qualities, and the flowers gradually darken. The growth rate slows down, the affected shoots begin to blacken and die off. The level of winter hardiness is decreasing. To cope with the disease, experienced florists recommend spraying with colloidal sulfur. It is very important to observe the dosage recommended by the manufacturer.
Aphids, which feed on the cellular juices of perennials and spread viral infections, can also harm flowers. In order to destroy a harmful insect, it is recommended to treat the bushes with drugs of the type:
It is enough to carry out 4 sprays with the selected preparation to cope with the aphid infestation. However, if you follow the conditions of growing and caring for the plant, you can completely avoid this trouble.
Even after flowering, the plant needs to be cared for. The main recommendations of specialists are listed below.
The seed method of reproduction does not allow to preserve the varietal properties of seedlings. However, most plant lovers use this method in order to replenish their beds with shaved. In order to collect seed, during pruning, it is recommended to leave shoots on the perennial bushes, which have an ovary.
Once the pods begin to ripen and darken, they can be cut off. After hulling the seeds, they must be sent for drying and airing. Then you can start the process of planting seeds.
Preparing for winter
Once the flowering process is complete, you can start pruning the bushes. The bushes are covered with a film material. A layer of dry foliage is poured over the shelter. The layer thickness should be up to 10-15 cm.
When growing aubriets in Siberia, it is advisable to cover the shelter with an additional layer of spruce cones. Compliance with these recommendations will protect the flowers from death and freezing.
Aubrieta Enchanting Morocco in Landscape Design
Landscape designers use herbaceous perennial as a ground cover plant. Ornamental culture is planted near:
Choosing compositions according to the combination of color colors, you can achieve maximum picturesqueness. A bright plant is often planted along the curbs. Also, the perennial looks spectacular in the rock garden and rockery.
Below are the reviews of florists who grow Aubrieta Charming Morocco in their garden.
- A few years ago, for my birthday, they gave me an unconventional bouquet - an obrieta. After reading the information on the Internet, I decided to plant a bush in my garden. The flower has taken root. In the fall, I collected seeds from him, and planted them between the stones. And what a miracle! Already in May, I admired how the flowers cascaded over the boulders. The flowering was very lush, which could not but rejoice.
- For many years I have been trying to decorate my garden plot. What kind of flowers did I not plant in the flower beds. Unfortunately, not every plant has taken root. In recent years, I have been fond of cultivating obriety Fascinating Morocco. I really like the unpretentiousness of the variety. In addition, there is an opportunity to propagate your favorite flowers with your own hands. For this purpose, I use the grafting method. I leave cuttings rooted in autumn in a greenhouse until spring. At the end of April, I plant the seedlings in an open garden. Each bush takes root quickly. The variety has abundant flowering, which is an additional advantage. I plant flowers like Iberis, Alyssum and subulate phlox near the perennial.
Aubrieta Fascinating Morocco is able to effectively decorate any area. If you wish, you can grow the plant at home. The unpretentiousness of the variety allows you to take care of it even to persons who have no experience in floriculture. Perennial culture is not afraid of frost, but still you should not risk it and ignore the need for winter shelter of bushes. Leaf plates are not discarded in cold weather. The decorative appearance is preserved throughout the year.
Florists who grow aubrieta in their garden claim that proper flower care will help to avoid the invasion of pests and the occurrence of fungal infections. The decorative appearance of the variety and the long flowering period have become the reason for the wide popularity of the herbaceous crop among flower growers. Growing a picturesque bush in your garden, you can enjoy the gorgeous flowering of the plant every year.